OK, so you can go to your local supermarket to buy dried herbs in a jar but the taste just isn’t quite the same as when you grow them yourself. Not only can you grow herbs for cooking but they can also have many health benefits by making them into tinctures etc. You might think growing your own herbs would be difficult but to be honest, just about anyone can give it a go. All you have to do is take note of the following tips.
Essential Elements for Growing a Herb Garden
Light – All plants need light to survive and this is the same with herbs. Most varieties like plenty of sunshine, if they don’t receive enough light they can’t produce all those essential oils. These oils are what give the plants their taste and medicinal properties.
Soil – With herbs you need to ensure that the soil you use isn’t too alkaline or acidic. You will want to prepare the soil before you do any planting. You can do this by removing the shallow layers of top soil (keep it to one side) and then mixing the soil down to around 12 inches.
You want to get the soil full of nutrients so you can do this by mixing in compost. Once you have done this you should put the top soil back on along with more organic matter.
Drainage – Herbs like conditions which are not too dry but not too wet either, so good drainage is essential. If you’re drainage isn’t good you can improve it by laying underground drain tiles.
Don’t view herb gardening as a chore, it should be fun and if you have kids – get them involved. It’ll also give you a sense of satisfaction by growing them yourself and you have the advantage of growing them organically too.
Try and always use organic matter when growing your herbs as it’s better for them and healthier for you. Using harsh chemicals is not good for the environment either.
Indoor Culinary Herb Garden Starter Kit- Start Growing Fresh Cooking Herbs & Spices- Great Gift Idea!- Seeds: Parsley, Thyme, Cilantro, Basil, Dill, Oregano, Sweet Marjoram, Chives, Savory, Garlic Chives, Mustard, Sage
- Gardening Gift Ideas - Buying gifts is never easy, especially because most people appear to have everything they could possibly need or wish for. Of course, this doesn’t really help you if you are looking to buy a gift and need to buy one pretty damn quick. So what if the person you are buying for enjoys
- A Helpful Guide to Growing with Hydroponics - Normally people think of hydroponics as a means to grow marijuana. However it’s actually a technique which dates as far back as the gardens of Babylonia and can be used for growing a variety of plants.
Essentially hydroponics is simply a way to grow plants without soil. If you wanted to grow tomatoes for
- Portable Greenhouse Kits - A lot of people think that you need to have a massive garden in order to be able to enjoy it at the fullest and be interested in gardening. The truth is that even a small garden can give the owner a lot of enjoyment. Although most greenhouses can be fairly large, there are ones
- Hydroponic LED Lights - If you are wanting to grow plants using the hydroponic system then you will need to buy yourself some grow lights so that the plants can take the energy from the light, this process is of course called photosynthesis. Plants need to go through the photosynthesis process so that they can not only survive, but
- Working With Nature to Create the Perfect Garden - How Earthworms, microorganisms, insects and animals can help your garden
Sometime gardeners work against nature, spraying their gardens with all sorts of chemicals. However to achieve a beautiful garden it often pays to work with nature. If you want to keep your soil healthy then using earthworms, microorganisms and insects can be your best friends in