Most gardeners love wildlife, however in protecting their gardens from pests such as greenfly and slugs, they are also harming other wildlife such as butterflies and bees which are considered gardeners’ friends. You don’t need harmful pesticides in you garden to keep it looking good, just a little thought and consideration will give you a garden to be admired.
The idea behind companion planting is that bugs will be either confused or repulsed by certain plants so they will stay away. For instance, onion flies hate carrots whilst carrot flies hate onions, so if you plant onions and carrots together you should have pest free vegetables. Other partnerships which work well are French marigolds and cabbages, plus anis and brassicas. Growing herbs is also a good tactic.
Work With Nature
There are many creatures in the garden which are very helpful for many reasons including getting rid of insects which destroy your plants and improving the quality of your soil. Earthworms, microorganisms and insects are amongst your garden helpers.
- How To Get Rid Of Aphids Organically - Although insects are an important part of the eco-system however sometimes there can end up being so many aphids that they end up doing an enormous amount of damage to your plants. Aphids are very small green insects that are very easy to identify. Of course, there are many different products on the market, however
- Intro To Growing Your Own Herb Garden - OK, so you can go to your local supermarket to buy dried herbs in a jar but the taste just isn’t quite the same as when you grow them yourself. Not only can you grow herbs for cooking but they can also have many health benefits by making them into tinctures etc. You
- Working With Nature to Create the Perfect Garden - How Earthworms, microorganisms, insects and animals can help your garden
Sometime gardeners work against nature, spraying their gardens with all sorts of chemicals. However to achieve a beautiful garden it often pays to work with nature. If you want to keep your soil healthy then using earthworms, microorganisms and insects can be your best friends in
- Ornamental Vegetable Gardening - For a long time people thought that vegetables were ugly and so avoided growing them in their gardens. However people are now realising that there are many varieties of ornamental vegetables which look and taste great. Growing your own vegetables can give you a great sense of satisfaction plus they will
- How To Plant Seed Potatoes in Planter Bags - More and more people are starting to get into growing their own produce for a number of reasons. Some people feel that they will taste better, have more nutrients and also be better for the environment. Whatever your reasons, growing potatoes can be a great way to get into arena of growing your own fruit