The noni plant, also known as the morinda plant, is a tropical evergreen tree that can reach heights of approximately 10 feet in Tahiti and other Pacific Islands. It is also found in certain regions of Asia, Australia, South America, and the Caribbean. The plant produces flowers and fruit continuously throughout the year. Because of the strong odor that the fruit emits when it is ripe, it is also sometimes referred to as cheese fruit or even vomit fruit. As it ripens, the fruit begins to turn yellow and eventually becomes very close to white in color.
Raw or cooked, the fruit is consumed as a famine food and is even considered a staple food on some islands in the Pacific region, despite having a pungent odor and a taste that is described as being bitter. Raw with salt or cooked with curry, the fruit is a staple in the diets of indigenous peoples in Southeast Asia and Australia. When roasted, the seeds can be consumed by humans.
In traditional medicine, the green fruit, leaves, and root or rhizome of the plant were used to treat menstrual cramps, irregular bowel movements, diabetes, liver diseases, and urinary tract infections. The juice of the noni fruit is rich in a variety of nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Antioxidants may assist in the prevention of certain diseases and may also assist in the slowing of changes in the body that are associated with aging. Studies have shown that individuals who consume noni juice once per day for a period of one month experience a reduction in total cholesterol as well as triglycerides.
Because the noni fruit has a smell that some people find offensive, noni products are available in a variety of different forms, such as juice, extract, powder, and capsules. Be sure to purchase products made from noni from a reputable company. On the other hand, fresh noni fruits can also be purchased at local markets, wholesalers, and even some retail establishments.
Both Wikipedia and Cancer.org can be consulted for further information.
Thai Red Curry
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
1 sweet red bell pepper, cut in strips
1 small head broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
1/4 head cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
a small handful of snow peas
1 medium zucchini, cut into julienne strips
about a handful of prepared bamboo shoots, cut into strips
2-3 young, green noni fruits, cut into circular slices
1-2 carrots, cut in julienne strips
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over a medium high heat, add in Thai red curry paste, and saute for about 1 minute. The curry spices will become very fragrant.
2. Add noni, broccoli, and cauliflower and mix well to coat with curry paste.
3. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add bell pepper and stir-fry for 2 minutes more.
5. Add coconut milk and stir.
6. Bring to a boil and then turn down heat to let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add zucchini, carrots, and bamboo shoots, and simmer for 5 minutes more.
8. Check vegetables and cook until they are your preferred texture.
9. Serve hot with steamed jasmine rice.
Noni Caesar Salad Dressing
6 tbps noni vinegar made with apple cider or Balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup olive oil
2-3 large cloves of garlic, pressed or crushed
freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
2 3-minute eggs
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 0 mins
Total Time: 10 mins
1. Combine the first four ingredients in a jar or cruet.
2. After the eggs have boiled for 3 minutes, run them under cold water, then crack with a knife over your container, allowing the yolk to run into the other liquids.
3. With a teaspoon, scoop out the partly cooked egg white in small bits and add it to ingredients in the jar.
4. Shake dressing and serve over greens.
Purple Paradise Noni Fruit Smoothie
1 cup frozen cherries
1 cup frozen mangoes
1 cup frozen blueberries
3 heaping tbsps of vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup soy milk (vanilla flavored)
3 tbsps noni juice concentrate
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 0 mins
Total Time: 5 mins
1. Place ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
2. Serve immediately.
❗️Check what Gardeners have purchased the most ❗️